The building which houses Kaunas Artists’ House was built in 1930, following the project by Vytautas Landsbergis-Žemkalnis (1893-1993). At that time the architectural style of the building was a new development in Lithuanian architecture. The house was built for the Diplomatic Mission of Vatican, although, for unknown reasons, the nunciature never established itself there.
In 1932 the building functioned as children’s hospital, while in the Soviet years it housed a kindergarten. In 1971 it served as the House for Creative Intelligence, and in 1972 – as Kaunas Art Workers’ House. In 1979 the place was renamed to Kaunas Artists’ House (hereinafter – KMN). In 1972 and 1979 the building was reconstructed in accordance with the projects by architects from The Institute of Communal Economy Design – Z. Daigis, S. Savickas and J. Rakštienė. In 1981-1982, after some interior renovations, the building was fitted for cultural activities. The main windows of corridors and concert
halls were decorated with “Muses”, stained-glass compositions created by artist Vytautas Banys and featuring six mythological Greek muses – Apollo’s faithful companions and artisans. The lobby of the Artists’ House was decorated with painter Aldona Keturakienė’s ceramic panel “Footprint”, reminiscent of a tile stove in its composition. It was a technological experiment by the author, distinguished by its unique décor and the use of interesting modern ceramics technology.
After the Restoration of Independence, it was attempted to hand over the building to Vytautas Magnus University, use it to house various creative unions in it, or to privatize it. However, due to the efforts of the artists of Kaunas, KMN, which is founded by Kaunas City Municipality Council, operates as a budgetary institution and is maintained from the budget of the city’s municipality.
Over time, there were changes not only to the purpose of the building, but also the leadership of Kaunas Artists’ House. For four decades KMN was headed by writer Mykolas Karčiauskas, poet Dalia Teišerskytė, composer Vladas Švedas, actor Antanas Gabrėnas, pedagogue Algirdas Medišauskas, actor, director Algimantas Norvilas, ceramics artist Bernardas Arčikauskas. In 1998-2016 KMN was headed by actor and director Viktoras Valašinas. In 2016-2017, the post of a Acting Director was held by Justinas Kalinauskas. In 2017, in August, the position of the Director was taken over by Rūta Stepanovaitė, cultural manager and applied graphics graduate.